A delicious dish and the ultimate crowd pleaser! The prep takes a bit but the cooking is super simple, allowing you to prepare other dishes on the side.
2 whole squids (cleaned)
70g of stale bread (roughly 2 slices)
milk for the bread
2 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano
2 cans of passata
1 garlic clove
1. Place the stale bread in a bowl and cover it with milk, leaving it to rest for 30 minutes so that it softens.
2. Remove the tentacles from the main body and sauté them in the pan with some olive oil for a few minutes. Cut them into small dices and place them in a bowl.
3. Squeeze the bread so all the excess milk is released and place the bread in the bowl with the tentacles. Add the whole egg, the Parmigiano, the diced garlic clove and the diced parsley. Mix everything to form a thick paste, add salt and pepper.
4. Fill each squid with the mix, making sure to not over-fill them, as it will come out during the cooking. Close the ends of the squids with toothpicks.
5. In a large and deep pan place some olive oil, garlic and sauté. After a few minutes pour in the two cans of passata and a few chilli flakes.
6. After 5 minutes place the squids carefully in the pan. Cook for 35 minutes, turning them both every 5 minutes. If the passata dries up, add a bit of water.
7. Cut into slices (as shown in the picture) and serve.
Original recipe from Cucchiaio d'Argento