Wild Rice with smoked salmon & asparagus cream / Riso Selvatico con salmone affumicato e crema di asparagi #asparagopiacentino #asparagochepiace
A couple of weeks ago I was asked to participate in the 'asparagus for breakfast, lunch and dinner' competition by the Consorzio per la Promozione, Sviluppo e Tutela dell'Asparago Piacentino. The challenge was to create a recipe which had asparagus as an ingredient. It was especially challenging to come up with an innovative recipe, due to the large quantity of 'mainstream' asparagus recipes which are out there (asparagus with eggs, prosciutto, in a risotto, on a pizza etc.).
This recipe is healthy and full of taste, perfect for a refreshing lunch. The asparagus cream can also be used as a dip, or added to other dishes if you find you have some left over.
Serves 2 / per 2 persone
¾ cup of wild rice (you can also use Riso Venere or basmati)
2 ¼ cups of water
10 asparagus tips
150g smoked salmon
½ a lemon
1 garlic clove
1. Place the rice in a pot, pour in the water. Bring the water to boil and lower the heat, letting the rice simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
2. In the meantime, bring a separate pot of water to boil and place the asparagus chopped in three. Boil until they are soft but not floppy, and drain.
3. Dice the garlic and place in a non-stick pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Heat the oil and add the asparagus, sauté for a couple of minutes.
4. Remove the asparagus from the pan and keep four tips to one side. Place the rest in a blender with a tablespoon of olive oil and the juice of half a lemon.
5. Blend to create a cream, adding salt and pepper to taste.
6. When the rice is ready, drain it and place it in a bowl. Cut the smoked salmon into slivers or small squares and mix it into the rice, adding a drop of olive oil and salt.
7. Place the rice with salmon in a serving dish and add the cream on top or on the side.
¾ cup di riso selvatico
2 ¼ cup di acqua
150g di salmone affumicato
il succo di mezzo limone
1 spicchio d'aglio
1. Porre il riso in un pentolino, versandoci sopra l'acqua fredda. Portare l'acqua ad ebollizione e abbassare il fuoco, facendo cuocere il riso per 20/25 minuti.
2. Nel frattempo, portare ad ebollizione un altro pentolino di acqua. Posizionarci dentro gli asparagi, tagliandoli se necessario. Cuocerli finché non siano morbidi (ma non molli).
3. Tagliare l'aglio a dadini e posizionarlo in una padella antiaderente con un cucchiaio di olio d’oliva. Aggiungere gli asparagi e far rosolare per un paio di minuti.
4. Rimuovere gli asparagi e posizionarli nel frullatore, tenendo da parte 4 punte. Aggiungere il succo di limone, olio di oliva, sale e pepe e frullare, creando una crema.
5. Quando il riso è cotto scolarlo e versarlo in una scodella. Tagliare il salmone a striscioline ed amalgamarlo al riso, aggiungendo sale, pepe e olio.
6. Posizionare il riso con salmone in un piatto e aggiungere la crema di asparagi sopra o ai lati.
Ever since discovering this sauce a couple of months I've been OBSESSED. I try and put it on as many things as possible. So far my favourite combinations are the following spaghetti, grilled aubergines with mozzarella and on bruschette with tzatziki.
150g cherry tomatoes, washed
1 tablespoon sugar
4 basil leaves
140g spaghetti or any other pasta
1 garlic clove
½ a glass of water
1. Bring a pot of water to boil, add salt and pasta, cook according to packet instructions.
2. Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan, turn the heat onto medium.
3. Using the flat part of a knife squash the garlic (without peeling it) and add it to the pan.
4. Chop all the cherry tomatoes in half and place them in the pan, when the garlic has been cooking for a couple of minutes.
5. Cook the tomatoes, stirring them, for about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over all the tomatoes and combine. Pour in a small amount of water, just enough to cover the base of the pan and cover with a lid.
6. Let the tomatoes cook like this for another 4 minutes, checking them and stirring in the process.
7. When the water has almost evaporated, remove the lid and cook them for another 3 minutes, making sure the water evaporates and they caramelise slightly.
8. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the basil leaves. Toss everything well and plate.
9. Sprinkle over some Parmigiano and a couple more basil leaves to garnish.