This recipe is also the most basic way of making risotto, you can simply add all the ingredients you wish, like saffron, or prawns and walnuts, or herbs, halfway through the cooking. If you wish to make a risotto full of cheese you must remember to add in the cheese at the end, during the process of ‘mantecatura’.
160g carnaroli or Arborio rice
1 litre of vegetable stock
30g of butter
½ a cup white wine (optional)
1. Bring a pot of water to boil adding a stock cube.
2. Place of the butter in a deep pan or pot. Chop the onion into fine dices. Turn the heat on, let the butter begin melting and add the onion. Let it brown on medium-low heat.
3. Once the onion has browned pour in the rice. Let it toast, stirring it, for 4 minutes.
4. If you’re using wine, pour it in now, letting it absorb completely.
5. Once the wine has absorbed, pour enough boiling broth to cover the rice. Begin stirring slowly. As the broth gets absorbed (not completely) keep adding more and stirring.
6. After 15 to 20 minutes the rice should be almost ready. Taste to make sure it is al dente.
7. Turn off the heat and add the remaining butter and quite a bit of Parmigiano. Mix well, making sure the risotto is looking nice and creamy. Season to taste and eat.
Ever since buying a spiralizer I've been obsessed with making these courgette spaghetti. They can be eaten raw or sautéed with a drop of olive oil. There are many ways of eating them, for example as a side to a meat or fish dish or using them to substitute pasta. Although the following way is my favourite way of eating them, they're also super yummy with lemon and prawns.
Serves 2 people
Things you'll need
2 big courgettes
For the sauce
2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
½ an onion
2 tablespoons white/brown sugar
1. For the recipe on how to make the sauce click here, following instructions 1, 4 and 7.
2. Wash the courgettes and chop off the two ends. Place one in the spiralizer and start making the spaghetti by 'sharpening' it.
3. When you've done both, place a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan and add the courgette spaghetti.
4. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and mix into the feta and roast tomato sauce. Alternatively you can place them on top of the sauce, like the picture, and mix it in your plate.