Also known as torta caprese, it originates from the island of Capri, just off the coast from Naples. It only requires 5 ingredients and is super straightforward.
175g almond flour
125g butter, room temperature
140g refined sugar
140g dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a dish, add a knob of butter, place in the microwave and let it melt. Be careful not to burn it! Check it as it melts, mixing the chocolate to check its progress. Once it has melted, remove from the microwave and let it cool.
2. Place the sugar and butter in a large bowl, and mix the two together using your hands (the heat from your hands will soften the butter, combining the two ingredients).
3. Once the sugar and butter are combined, add the eggs one at the time and mix with a whisk. Add each egg only after the previous one has been incorporated well.
4. Once the eggs are all in, pour in the melted chocolate and mix well for a couple of minutes. And don't forget to lick the melted chocolate bowl thoroughly.
5. Sprinkle in the almond flour and combine.
6. Rub some butter onto a baking tin (20cm diameter), place a tablespoon of flour into the tin and shake it so that the flour covers the whole surface. Shake away any excess flour.
7. Pour the cake mix into the tin, level it with a spatula.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked - you can test this by inserting a knife into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean it means the cake is properly baked.