My mum has been making this amazing dessert for as long as I can remember, and I recently rediscovered my love for it. Super easy to make, it does not require many skills or ingredients.
Makes 1 loaf
1 ¼ cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of soda (or 1 sachet of baking powder)
3 very ripe bananas (the darker they are the better)
1 less ripe banana
½ cup of butter
dark chocolate drops (optional)
1. In a bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork, they have to remain lumpy.
2. In another bowl combine the butter, flour, sugar, salt, soda (or baking powder) and mix well.
3. Beat the eggs and fold them into the mashed bananas. Add the flour mix and combine to form a lump mass. Do NOT over mix.
4. Butter the loaf mould, add the chocolate drops to the mix, and pour it all into the mould.
5. Slice the remaining less ripe banana into slices length wise and place them on top of the loaf.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 180 degrees. Poke the cake with a knife and if it comes out clean the cake is ready.