This delicious and simple apple cake is loved by my boyfriend so much that everyone now refers to it as "Fede's Apple Cake". What is great about it is that it only requires a handful of ingredients, and is perfect as breakfast cake or dessert after a meal, just warm it up and add a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.
Makes 1 medium-sized cake
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
¼ cup butter (room temperature)
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. In a large bowl crack the egg and add the flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix with a spoon.
2. Add the butter and combine with your hands, breaking it down. Add the milk to make a smooth consistency. Set aside.
3. Peel and cut the apples into 4. Cut each quarter into thin slices. Place 4 of the 5 sliced apples into the cake mix and combine well.
4. Butter a medium-sized baking tray and sprinkle flour over it, coating it on all sides. Pour in the cake mix and spread evenly.
5. Use the 5th apple to decorate the top of the cake, placing the slices one next to the other following the baking tray border.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm.