As part of the #iomifermo recipe collection, and because today is a rainy Saturday. This delicious cake is super easy to make and will 100% impress your fellow lockdown buddies. Serve with whipped crème fraîche for extra points. NOTE: keep in mind that the dough needs to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
for the dough:
1 tablespoon sugar
a pinch of salt
1 cup plain 00 flour
1 egg, beaten
for the filling:
5 apples, peeled and cut into thin, ½ cm slices
1 vanilla bean
1 egg, beaten
1. To make the dough: place the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mix, until the flour looks like a thicker flour and there are no big lumps. Pour the beaten egg over the mix and mix it in with a fork, then quickly transfer it to a wooden surface you've dusted with flour and knead it into a smooth paste (should take max 2 mins). Roll it out into a square, roughly ½ a cm thick, cover it in cling film and place it on a tray, in the fridge for 2 hours.
2. Whilst you wait, prepare the apples by peeling and cutting them, and preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
3. Place the butter for the filling in a small pot over medium heat, split the vanilla bean in half, extract the seeds and place them in the pot with the butter. Place the bean in the pot too. Once the butter has started bubbling and turning brown, remove from heat.
4. After the required time has passed, remove the dough from the fridge and place the apples in the middle, so that they overlap slightly, leaving a 2cm gap on all edges.
5. Remove the vanilla bean and brush all the apples with the butter repeatedly, then sprinkle them with the brown sugar.
6. Fold the edges of dough onto the apples, they will overlap and that's fine!!
7. Brush a beaten egg on the edges of dough and sprinkle granulated sugar on it.
8. Bake for 30 minutes (or more depending on the strength of your oven).