Yes, this recipe has caramelised tomatoes in it. But you don't have to caramelise them, you can roast them or simply have them raw, if you prefer. The reason why I eat this dish so often is because I LOVE all the main ingredients, and combining them this way is just so delicious.
120g cherry tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1. Slice the aubergine into ½ a centimetre slices and place on a grill on high heat. Grill the aubergines, turning them every 4 minutes so they don't burn.
2. Dice the garlic and add to a pan with a drop of olive oil. Slice the tomatoes in half and add to the pan.
3. After 5 minutes sprinkle the tomatoes with sugar, add a drop of water and cover with a lid.
4. Cut the mozzarella into slices and wash the basil.
5. Once the aubergines are grilled you can start assembling the dish. Remove the lid from the tomatoes and let the water evaporate, after which turn off the gas.
6. Place a slice of aubergine on a dish, and a mozzarella slice on top of it. Add a second slice of aubergine followed by another one of mozzarella. Add a third aubergine slice and a third mozzarella slice. Do the same for the entire aubergine.
7. Top each aubergine tower with the caramelised tomatoes, basil leaves and any extra mozzarella you might have.
8. Sprinkle salt, pepper and olive oil over the dish and enjoy.